Thursday, May 10, 2018

Apparently ‘Architecture’ was born in Multan

Little did I know that a book titled ‘PAKISTAN’ by Tony Holliday, that my father bought from a book stand one afternoon, during our trip to Lahore Museum, would one day lead me 14 years later to actually get curious about my own city and find out all these interesting, never heard before facts about it.
Well no one doubts Multan’s antiquity, and everyone knows about the blue pottery and the Sufi shrines. Today I want to share some of the unique facts about Rome’s twin city.

1. The Hindu Festival ‘Holi’ Originated in Multan.

Celebrate Holi at Jaypee Palace Hotel, Agra
You heard it right, I was amazed too when I first read about it in Multan Museum.

It goes something like:  The Prahladpuri Temple in Multan is believed to be the place where Lord Narasimha ( an avatar of Hindu God Vishnu ) appeared out the pillar to save Prahalada to save him from his father Hiranyakashyapa ( the devil Holika )
Therefore, according to Hindus this where the festival of Holika Dahan started.
So you’re telling me that Holi, the festival of colors, this hugely popular global phenomena was given birth right here? Like here? Where I’m sitting wasting my life on Netflix.
Meanwhile:

‘Multan Museum’

2. Multan is one of the cities ‘Alexander the Great’ conquered


We hosted Alexander, enough said. And also some historians believe that the arrow that hit Alexander during his quest in Multan, is what actually killed him.

‘Multan Museum’

3. Satan Landed in Multan

Umm Ok.
This one was the most overwhelming one for me personally, when I read it in Tony Holliday’s book titled ‘Pakistan’  in the section about Multan ( Paragraph 2 Page 225 ). It says that when Hazrat Adam was thrown out of the Garden of Eden, Multan is where Satan Landed ( after falling from grace ).
Maybe it is to symbolize the ‘heat’ in Multan, just a personal guess.

4. Apparently ‘Architecture’ was born in Multan. Say What?

According to some historians, the ‘arch’ was perfected here and also the first book on architecture was written here. (Vitruvius might disagree)

I mean come on, that’s just awesome, ok it’s a little far-fetched. But I don’t even wanna go into further details, ‘some’  historians is Ok for me.
Needless to say it is home to some great architecture!
Colors, by Najmul Hassan. Shrine of Shams-ud-Din Sabzwari (Shams Tabrez) in Multan, Pakistan.
Isn’t it amazing how little aware we are about the very places we live in, I mean isn’t it bizarre to think that probably thousands of years ago, someone from Alexander’s army may have been preparing for battle wearing his metal corset at the very place I’m laying down using a strange typing device?
If you get the free time, you should definitely go dig into your city’s past and you are sure to come across some amazing facts!

No comments: